Friday, May 18, 2007

Korean Medicine.....

So - have been suffering from a bit of a chest cold over the last week.... Started on Monday with the sniffles and moved down through my throat (almost no voice) and into my chest with a bit of a cough and that tight feeling that you get as if you can't take a deep breath properly.... I'm not actually feeling unwell, I just cough and sniff occasionally....

Anyway, the guys (Park and Ki Tae) kept saying that they wanted to take me to the hospital.... What?!?! The hospital? Are you kidding? It's just a cough!!!! Finally they talked me round to going to see a Korean Medicine practitioner....

We walked in to a very nice waiting room, sort of half doctor's office and half Day Spa.... very tranquil and relaxing.... I was invited into the doctor's office where my pulse was taken and Ki Tae and Park spoke in rapid Korean to the older man behind the desk. Next thing I knew I was being given a paper cup of something the colour of coffee which smelt faintly like annisseed - drink up! EEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!!!!!! It tasted nothing like coffee or annisseed!!!!!!! Blergh!!!!

Then I was led around the corner to a small platform (heated!!!!) with a pillow and asked to lie down. In came the doctor (?) and his assistant with a tray of accupuncture needles.... Now I've never had accupuncture before, so needless to say I was a little apprehensive about having needles/pins stuck into me.... sure i give blood every couple of months, and have had more than one or two needles stuck into me over the years, but this?

I figured that people had it done every day, and that I should go with the experience..... I had a needle in each foot (just above the 2nd last toe), and two/three in my right hand..... Not so bad as all that.... we'll see if it works shall we?

No comments: